My son’s 3rd grade math is always asking him questions about measurements and equivalents. He always comes and asks me for help when there are questions like: How many quarts in a gallon? or How many cups in a pint? I have seen this Gallon Man idea around and decided to try it out with him to see if it helps these measurements to stick in his mind.
How many Quarts in a Gallon? With Gallon Man
We made him and hung him up on the wall in our school room. He is loving having it there as a reference for his math work!
- Gallon Man is easy to make. You just need 5 sheets of different colored paper. The gallon is a whole sheet of paper.
- There are 4 Quarts in a Gallon, so for the quarts, fold the paper in half twice and write Quart on each one.
- There are 2 Pints in each quart (8 pints in a gallon), so for this sheet of paper, fold it into 8 squares.
- There are 2 Cups in a pint (16 cups in a gallon) so the next sheet needs to be folded into 16 squares.
- The final piece of paper is to make Gallon Man’s head. Draw a happy little face on it.
- Glue it all together and you have Gallon Man!
So… Next time you have to answer the question of How many quarts in a gallon? You can think of Gallon Man and remember the answer.
Here is a simple graphic to help you remember, too!