This post may contain affiliate links.
We love Dr. Seuss so much in our house! I am excited about a new Dr. Seuss app that makes the book Green Eggs and Ham really come alive! Oceanhouse Media has created an educational line of apps called Read & Learn. They create this fun interactive reading experience with animations, games and hidden surprises on each page of the story. This is a sponsored post on behalf of OceanHouse Media. All thoughts are my own.
The Green Eggs and Ham Read & Learn app is designed for kids ages 3-6 and helps them practice spelling, reading, rhyming, and other literacy skills. This is their second Dr. Seuss book app (The first being The Cat in the Hat) and they will be releasing more later this year. However, Oceanhouse Media is not new to the app world. They have created over 400 mobile and desktop apps. 25 of their apps have reached number one spots in their categories! Their focus is educating and inspiring through technology. This app has definitely educated and inspired my kids! It is of the highest quality and lots of fun to play and read.
Features of the Dr. Seuss Read & Learn App:
- Animations — Every page is animated and really brings the story to life.
- Gesture-Based Interactions — Kids can tap, drag, tilt, and swipe images to discover surprises throughout the story.
- Learning Activities — 30+ mini games are hidden throughout the book to help motivate your little readers to explore the story as thoroughly as possible! Each activity was designed with the help of kids, parents, and education experts, and aligns with kindergarten level standards. They teaching rhyming, spelling and reading skills.
- Kid-Friendly Interface — Kids can do it all on their own! Every button, menu, and screen is easy to use.
- Text-Scaffolding — Every image kids tap says and shows a label of what it is. You can also tap the words of the story.
What we thought of the Dr. Seuss Read & Learn App:
I went through it the first time with my 4-year-old son. He and I had lots of fun trying to find all of the little hidden surprises within each page of the book. There is a star that you have to find on each page by clicking the different pictures. The star leads you to the game for that page. This was so motivating for him to keep going! He is not reading yet, so we worked through each of the activities together. But, they were perfect for him! The games are such a great addition to the story because they teach language skills related to the story. It is really a neat way to build in learning in such a creative way.
Next, my older daughter wanted to try. She is 8, but still really enjoyed this app a lot, too! She wanted to do it all on her own, but little brother wanted to reveal where all of the hidden stars were! He was proud of his new-found knowledge.
The Green Eggs and Ham story is such a fun, silly story that kids just love it anyway. But the way they have put it together with the learning and activities is something that I really love. I am looking forward to the apps they will release in the future!!
Follow Oceanhouse Media on Facebook and on Twitter @OceanhouseMedia. Also visit the Dr. Seuss website and Facebook page.
This app can be used on iOS 8.0 or later and sells for $4.99 in the iTunes store.