Are you ready for back to school? We are stocking up on supplies and getting our school stuff in order. A wonderful thing about homeschooling is the flexibility. We are not constrained to the typical school schedules and I love that!
We love our Summer break, but we also love starting back to school and getting back to our routine. There are lots of ways to make the start of school special, so today I want to share with you some fun back to homeschool traditions. I also created a printable Back to School Interview for you to do with your kids. (This is a sponsored post in behalf of Boise Paper and Office Depot. I was compensated for my time in writing this, but all thoughts are my own.)
Fun Back to Homeschool Traditions
Our favorite back to homeschool traditions are to make the first day extra special! We don’t always do it by getting right to our books, though. When school starts in our area, we usually go and do something fun to celebrate and this year our destination will be the zoo. I like it to be a memorable day and a day that they look forward to. Plus, it is less crowded because the masses are headed back to school! In the past we have gone to children’s museums, aquarium, the swimming pool, water parks, bowling, or on a fun hiking adventure.
If you don’t want to go somewhere, that’s ok, too! There are other ways to make the first day of back to homeschool special!
- You can make a special breakfast for your kids.
- Wrap up their new school supplies, or their new school books for them to open. It can be considered your school’s birthday or you can celebrate the gift of education!
- Go out to breakfast. We almost never do this, so it would be a really special and fun thing to do as a family!
- Take your kids on a trip somewhere for the first day/week of homeschool. This could be a close to home trip or something that you have been planning for a while. We like to do our family vacations in the Fall instead of the Summer so it is less crowded!
- First day of school pictures have always been a tradition of ours! It’s so much fun to see how they change each year!
- Back to School Interviews are so fun to do with the kids at the start of each homeschool year. I created a little free printable interview page for you to use! It is linked at the end.
- Bake a special treat for your kids. Cookies are always a hit around here!
- If you don’t like going out to breakfast, treat them to a special Lunch on the first day.
- Make a trip to the library to pick out their favorite books and have a reading day. This is one of my kids favorite things to do!
- Start school with a board game day. Play games and have fun together as a family.
- I love this “What We Did This Summer Timeline” from the Unlikely Homeschooler.
I think the most important thing is to get kids excited about learning. You can be creative and do whatever your family loves!
Back to School Yearly Interview
I made a printable yearly interview for the kids for back to school. I love doing these with my kids because it is great fun to see the differences from year to year. We all think it is hilarious when we read through their old ones, too!
Download & Print the Yearly Back to School Interview for Kids Now! It’s available in my subscriber freebie library.
Want the best creative teaching ideas?
Subscribe now to get access to my FREE printables library. (New content added weekly plus valuable email updates!)