This post may contain affiliate links.
YouTube can be a great educational resource for so many different subjects. There are a ton of educational YouTube channels that you can use to supplement your teaching and homeschooling throughout the year.
Come check out my YouTube Channel for Teach Beside Me.
Many of these educational YouTube channels show videos and teach things you may not be able to do at home, like science experiments for example. Other YouTube channels offer an interesting way of learning and different ways kids can look at things to help them understand.
Because there are so many different educational YouTube channels, let’s just get right to the list.
Educational YouTube Channels for Young Learners
For young learners, there are a lot of fun music, alphabet and learning channels. Here are some of the top channels for young learners.
1. Jack Hartmann Kids Music Channel – Songs and educational videos to help children learn counting, numbers, reading, language skills, fitness through dance, and more.
2. Alphablocks – Follow the videos of living letters to discover that when they get together, they can make words. The videos feature various adventures for the characters and songs to make learning words fun.
3. Bounce Patrol – A channel for young children to learn through nursery rhymes. The songs will get kids up and moving as they learn about animals, colors, numbers and more.
4. Lots o Videos for Kids – A channel full of videos that amaze, entertain, and educate with fast paced music videos. Kids can learn about animals, trains, trucks, and more through song and dance.
5. Netflix Jr. – Kids can watch their favorite Netflix characters while they learn, sing and play with the different story characters.
Educational YouTube Channels for Elementary Through High School
There are a lot of channels for elementary through high school students as well, here are a few of those you can check out.
1. ASAPScience– AsapSCIENCE was created to help make sense of science. The videos are fun, educational and easy to understand to help children learn about science.
2. Art for Kids Hub – An educational channel that feature a family who loves creating art together. The videos they make show kids how to draw and learn different art techniques with fun and simple characters.
3. Vi Hart – A fun and interesting channel that focuses on math for those in middle school and high school.
4.MinutePhysics – Making physics fun, MinutePhysics provides an entertaining view on physics in their educational videos.
5. Khan Academy – Khan Academy is known for its mission of providing free education for everyone. On their YouTube channel, they offer helpful videos in subjects like math, chemistry, history, grammar and other topics.
6. PBS – With PBS, kids are able to explore new places, new worlds and new ideas. Videos include everything from learning about the universe to learning about nature.
7. Biography – Biography features fascinating stories about some of the most famous people throughout history.
8. Veritasium – All about learning science and other interesting topics, Veritasium offers a great learning experience for those interested in the world of science.
9. The Art Assignment – Exploring contemporary art and art history through educational videos, The Art Assignment is produced by PBS Digital Studios and often takes viewers on an adventure to real life locations with a focus on art.
10. Sixty Symbols – This channel offers cool videos and learning experiences on physics and astronomy.
11. The King of Random – Videos o exploring life through experiments, projects and MacGyver style hacks.
12. Crash Course – One of the most popular educational YouTube channels, CrashCourse teaches kids about a variety of different subjects. A few subjects include politics, psychology, ecology, and biology. There are many more topics that are taught though.
13. Looking Glass Universe – The Looking Glass Universe teaches about the strange world of math and physics. Most videos would be a great fit for high school students who are interested in learning about advanced math and physics topics.
14. The Brain Scoop – Kids can learn a variety of natural science topics with Chicago’s Field Museum, “Chief Curiosity Correspondent” and YouTube star Emily Graslie. Many of the videos are geared towards learning about animals but there are also some great history lessons available.
15. It’s Okay to Be Smart – This is a great channel or kids to learn about everything from Planet Earth and the climate to the human body and food. Biology and physics are also covered in the some of the videos.
16. Discovery Network – Videos are based on the educational content you would see on the Discovery Channel. There may be some videos on the current shows that aren’t really that educational, however, there are a lot of great videos on building, animals, etc. A good tip would to be putting a playlist together for those you’d like for your child to watch.
17. National Geographic – Similar to the National Geographic channel you’d watch on T.V., the YouTube channel aims to teach about the world. From explorations to adventures, photographers, journalists and scientists teach real life education about the world.
18. OverSimplified – The stories of various history subjects are taught in a more simplified way for children to learn and better understand.
19. BazBattles – BazBattles is dedicated to teaching about the historic battles and politics that have taken place throughout history. The educational videos feature these historic battles from the time periods of Ancient Rome to XX century.
20. Sick Science– This is the channel of Steve Spangler, an amazing scientist. These videos show awesome experiments and activities you can use in your teaching!
21. Free School– This awesome channel releases free educational videos twice a week on topics of art, music, science, literature and more!
22. Smithsonian Channel– Amazing historical and cultural stories and documentaries sharing on history, science, nature and even pop culture.
23. Ted-Ed– Most of these are for older kids, but their animated videos are awesome. You can find something on nearly every topic!
24. Brave Wilderness– The best place for all things animals! This channel has up close animal encounters and exciting adventures.
25. Bozeman Science– This channel is run by an experienced science educator. He shares short science related lessons for tons of topics and at different levels- including AP high school classes!
YouTube Channels for Advanced Learners
If you’re looking for more advanced educational YouTube channels, these are great homeschool channels that would be valuable for advanced high school students:
ABC for Technology Training – This channel is all about Java, Python and other IT algorithms.
Applied Science – Interesting videos on the applications of science and technology. The content on the videos seem more for high advanced students than most.
Times Higher Education – This is a UK based channel. It has a lot of useful information for advanced students. Videos are about current events, studying abroad and world academics.
If you are looking to incorporate educational YouTube channels into your homeschool or teaching, these are a great way to get you started. There are many different channels out there that are focused on educational content.
With any of the YouTube channels it might be a good bet for you to go through the channels and create a playlist of your own for specific videos you’d like to watch. This will make sure you have control over the content your child watches.
Tell me your favorites in the comments!