This post may contain affiliate links.
My son’s 3rd grade math is always asking him questions about measurements and equivalents. He always comes and asks me for help when there are questions like: How many quarts in a gallon? (A gallon is equal to 4 quarts) How many cups are in a gallon? (There are 16 cups in a gallon) How many cups in a pint? (There are 2 cups in a pint) How many cups are in a quart? (4) When I taught foods classes at a high school, these measurements always seem to be a challenge, too! I have a fun and easy way to help teach these measurements.
So, I decided to make a visual for my son so that he could grasp the idea better. An easy way to do that is with the Gallon Man. Seeing it in this way really helps kids (and adults who can never seem to remember) remember the values of each.
Watch us make it!
I also have this printable chart with more measurement conversions in case you need help remembering them, too! This and the Gallon Man printable are both in my subscriber library.
How Many Quarts in a Gallon? With Gallon Man
We made him and hung him up on the wall in our school room. He is loving having it there as a reference for his math work!
Gallon Man is easy to make. You just need 5 sheets of different colored construction paper.
- The gallon is a whole sheet of paper.
- There are 4 quarts in a gallon, so for the quarts, fold the paper in half twice and write Quart on each one.
- The quarts divide into pints. There are 2 pints in each quart (8 pints in a gallon), so for this sheet of paper, fold it into 8 squares.
- The pints divide into cups. There are 2 cups in a pint (16 cups in a gallon) so the next sheet needs to be folded into 16 squares.
- The final piece of paper is to make Gallon Man’s head. Draw a happy little face on it. Glue it all together and you have Gallon Man! He is kinda cute, right?
Or you can grab my FREE Gallon Man printable template. This has all of the sections divided and labeled for you. This is in my subscriber library. Sign up now to get access.
So… Next time you have to answer the question of How many quarts in a gallon? You can think of Gallon Man and remember the answer.
Do you want to download my Liquid Measurement Conversions chart?
It is available in my subscriber library. Signing up gives you access to this and tons of other awesome educational products. Plus, you will receive weekly email updates of new posts and printables. Subscribe below, then check your email for log-in details.