This post may contain affiliate links.
Have you gotten into the slime fun that’s going on? There are so many fun ways to create slime and we have tried many of them. I thought it would be really fun, though to make a non-toxic edible slime. This is an edible Starburst Slime! Yup- it is made from candy. Yum, right?!?! Who wouldn’t want to make some rainbow, stretchy, gooey and completely edible slime from Starburst candies? See even more edible slime recipes.
The Starburst slime is stretchy and pretty sticky. It is more clay-like in consistency and works best to play with when it is a little warm. It is easy to make, but does need some adult supervision since cooking is involved. This edible slime only has 3 ingredients! If you have ever made homemade marshmallow fondant for cake decorating, it is a LOT like that.
Want my whole collection of edible slimes? Grab my Edible Slime Recipes book!
How to Make Edible Starburst Slime:
Gather materials. You will want a couple of small glass bowls and a pot of water to cook on the stove (or a microwave). Divide the Starburst candies by color and unwrap. Place each color into a small glass bowl.
Mix ¼ c. powdered sugar with ¼ c. cornstarch.
Boil a pot of water and place the glass bowl into the pot to melt the Starburst candies. (Making it like a double boiler). Stir regularly to prevent burning. Once melted, remove from heat. You can also do it in the microwave for 2 – 30 second increments, stirring in between.
Turn onto a surface dusted with the cornstarch and powdered sugar mixture. Wait about five minutes until cooled. It can burn you at this point, so REALLY be careful!
Knead the melted candy with the powdered sugar mixture. Be sure to pull it and stretch it as you knead to let a lot of air into it. This will help it to be less sticky and more stretchy.
Now it is time to play! Make sure to wash their hands first if they want to eat their Starburst slime. My kids wanted to immediately mix all of the colors and see how it looked.
Edible Slime from Starburst Candy
- Microwave or Stove
- 1 bag Starburst
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- Mix together corn starch and powdered sugar
- Unwrap the candies and divide by color into separate bowls.
- Microwave each color for 30 seconds at a time stirring between, until melted.
- Turn onto a surface dusted with the cornstarch and powdered sugar mixture. Wait about five minutes until cooled. It can burn you at this point, so REALLY be careful!
- Knead the melted candy with the powdered sugar mixture. Be sure to pull it and stretch it as you knead to let a lot of air into it. This will help it to be less sticky and more stretchy.
IF IT LASTS, you can store it in a sealed container for a few days. 🙂
How does it work? There is some science behind it. When the candy is melted and then kneaded, air bubbles are incorporated into the candy ( like taffy), making it lighter and stretchier.
Grab the Edible Slime recipe book!
Want Some More Super Fun Edible Experiments?
Edible Marshmallow Slime (with Sprinkles!)
Want a Couple More Edible Slime Ideas?
- Check out this Peeps Slime from Little Bins for Little Hands. She is basically the Slime Expert!
- This Candy Chemistry Slime from Schooling a Monkey is really great, too!
- Edible Valentine’s Slime from Kids Activities Blog looks fun, too!