This post may contain affiliate links.
Math art projects are some of the most amazing and fun ways to teach math. There is so much math in art and so much art in math! Art and mathematics may seem an unlikely pair, but they are intertwined in so many ways. Today I want to share with you some amazing Math Art Projects for Kids.
This week, to celebrate the launch of my new book Math Art and Drawing Games for Kids, I am hosting a Math Art series on my site. Each day there is a theme that combines math and art in a creative way. There are some incredibly talented bloggers joining me who will be sharing their own ideas related to Math Art.
First a little about the Math Art and Drawing Games for Kids book. This is a book with more than 40 projects that bring art and math together in fun and creative ways. They teach kids problem solving, creativity and innovation in real life ways.
All of these projects were tested and loved by my own kids! After a year of work, I am so excited that this book is finally launching.
The week before it was officially released, it made the #1 status in new releases for Math Books for Children on Amazon!
Included in the book are the following categories:
- Math with Fine Artists- this section brings together modern art and contemporary artists and pairs them with math in fun and innovative ways. Artists use math constantly and you will learn about some of the ways in these projects.
- Art with Graphs, Grids, Numbers and Equations- We love doing math art with graph paper and grids, and using equations such as the golden ratio to make beautiful works of art.
- Symmetry in Art- Symmetry is such a fun way to create! Learn about some fun symmetrical art projects.
- Geometric Art- Bring together shapes and art and you have so much beauty! The possibilities here are virtually endless.
- Cultural Math Art ~ This section goes through art history and combines it with cultural history as well.
- Edible Math Art- All of these projects can be eaten! Math in the kitchen is one of our favorites.
Watch a little clip of some of the fun things included in the book:
Look what we have in store for you this week in the Math Art series:
Ready to create your own math art activity? Get out your rulers, pencils, erasers, compass and protractor, you’ll definitely need them! These projects will teach mathematical concepts to younger kids and older kids in such fun ways!
Geometric Math Art Projects
These projects all contain geometric patterns and geometric shapes. They combine shapes with numbers in creative ways.
- 3-D Paper Shapes – Teach Beside Me
- Geometric Math Art with Circles– Teach Beside Me
- Tesselations – Jumping to Genius
- Sensory Wall Mosaic Art – Mama Smiles
- Concentric Circles with Onion Prints – Math Geek Mama
- Geoboard Art on Natural Wood – From Engineer to Stay At Home Mom
- Geometric Animal Cards – Tree Valley Academy
- Geometry Snowflakes Dice Game – Board Games for Learning
- How to Make a Circle Geoboard – Teach Beside Me
- Stellated Dodecahedraon– Teach Beside Me
- Math Art: Spirolaterals- Teach Beside Me
Symmetry Art Projects
Make symmetrical works of art and patterns with symmetry by using some of these creative math art ideas.
- Shape Coloring Symmetry Art – 3 Dinosaurs
- Snowflake Symmetry Resist Art – Our Family Code
- Snowflake Symmetry Drawings – Teach Beside Me
- Symmetrical Pattern Coloring Cards – Teach Beside Me
- Perspective Math Art for Kids – Mama Smiles
Math Art Projects With Fine Artists
Fine artists use math in their creations in many unique ways! Get inspiration from these artists to learn about math in fun ways.
- Mondrian Style Fibonacci Art – Teach Beside Me
- Abstract Art and Math Inspired by Kandinsky – Our Journey Westward
- Radial Design with Marc Chagall – Table Life Blog
- Hands-on Fibonacci Math Art – Our Family Code
- Pascal’s Triangle Christmas Tree Art– Our Family Code
- Kandinsky Circle Art – Teach Beside Me
Art Projects With Numbers and Equations
- Color By Number Addition and Subtraction – Hess Un-Academy
- Finding Pi With Math Suncatchers – Our Family Code
- Mandala Multiplication Coloring Pages – Rock Your Homeschool
- Multiplication Color by Number of the U.S. – Tree Valley Academy
Math Art Projects with Graphs and Grids
Get out your graph paper and get creating! There is so much to make with a grid of squares!
- Area and Perimeter City – Teach Beside Me
- Graphing Christmas Coordinates – Our Family Code
- Graph Art: Illustrating Data – Go Science Kids
- Smiley Face Mystery Coordinate Grid – Royal Baloo
- Multiplication Grid Game – Teach Beside Me
- Area and Perimeter City – Teach Beside Me
Se ALSO: Science Art and Drawing Games for Kids– My latest release!