This post may contain affiliate links.
Have you found yourself suddenly homeschooling? Or, maybe you are teacher needing resources for distance learning? There are many different reasons, but if you are there, don’t panic! There are so many amazing resources online and that you can easily do from home. Today I have complied a huge list of at home and online learning ideas to help you out.
Things are all in chaos in the world right now. I know may schools have been closing everywhere due to the Coronavirus. Since I have been homeschooling for over a decade, I thought I would put together some at home and online learning ideas.
This is for those of you who suddenly have your kids at home with you and have no idea what to do with them! But this is also for all of you who have been doing it for a while! These are great resources recommended by homeschooling moms and public school teachers.
A few important tips for those figuring this new thing out
See my whole Homeschool Support Category.
- Set a school schedule. You kids need to know that during these hours you are doing learning. It makes everything better when there are boundaries, I promise!
- Be flexible. School at home is never going to be just like school at school. Let your kids do things in the order they want. Let them read a little longer or experiment a little longer. If one subject gets missed one day, that’s ok, just keep pushing through the next day.
- Stay calm, if you can. It’s going to be a big change for everyone. The house will be messier and noisier than normal. You’ll have less time for you. Everyone will feel out of sorts for a bit. But, you’ll get into a rhythm and things will be ok.
Just starting out with at home or online learning?
If you are new to teaching kids at home, I am sure you have a million questions and concerns. Stop by and listen to my Called to Homeschool Podcast for beginner advice on homeschooling.
I also have so many posts on my sire about teaching every subject. We’ve tried it all through the years, so do a little search in the search bar for what you need and you’ll likely find something to help!
On my site I have a lot of math games and activities, tons of hands-on science experiments and projects, reading and spelling games & printables, history & geography ideas, art projects, preschool activities, and more!
Here are a few simple things to get you started:
Use your library, your kindle or audible!
See my post with Favorite Learning Apps
Also my post with Online Typing Lessons
My post on Educational TV Shows for Kids and also my post on Educational YouTube Channels will both also be helpful.
Online Learning Sites for Kids
This is a great big list of websites for online learning or that offer downloads of lesson plans. If you are in a hurry to get going, just getting started homeschooling, doing distance learning, or need something to teach the kids while you work from home, all of these online learning websites will help you get going!
Online Learning Sites with a Variety of Subjects:
- BrainPop– my kids love this site!
- Adventure Academy– a huge favorite with my kids!
- Rozzy Learning– project based and career infused lessons for every subject
- Khan Academy– a favorite for many for math, but has many other subjects as well!
- IXL.com– online learning for pre-k through 12th grade in math, language arts, science, social studies, more
- The Good and the Beautiful is our favorite Homeschool curriculum. They have FREE PDF downloads of many of the levels of their language arts. They also have history & science, typing, art & more!
- All In One Homeschool– This is all free and has all subjects for K- high school!
- Well Educated Heart– another favorite site of mine! They have compiled free public domain books for all different subjects. It is a goldmine of information! She even has an awesome podcast.
- Freedom Homeschool– amazing site with a collection of Free homeschooling resources by subject
- Study Island– various subjects for K-12
- Time 4 Learning– all grades, all subjects- basically a comprehensive online curriculum
- Twinkl– Pre-k-5th grade many subjects
- Schoolhouse Teachers– All subjects all grades- an awesome site with a members forum, lesson plans, schedule planner, and more!
- K-12 online– a full online school
Online Learning for History & Geography
- Crash Course in History – these are videos teaching various topics in history
- Seterra– for online Geography learning maps- world, US, states & capitals, etc.
- See my post on Teaching Current Events to Kids
- Hillsdale College– Free online college level courses that would be great for high schoolers!
- American Heritage Education Foundation- free downloads for K-12
Online Learning Ideas for Math
- iPractice Math (see my review)
- CTC Math– wonderful inexpensive and comprehensive online math for all grades. One of our favorites.
- Prodigy– teaches math in a fun game setting. You can even find your friends in the game!
- Arcademics– game learning and practice
- 10 Monkeys Math World (K-3)
- Math Seeds for young kids (ages 3-9)
- Teaching Textbooks– yearly subscriptions for individuals or families (3-12 grade)
- Xtra Math– free online math practice
- EP for Learning– subscription based tutoring or teaching for K-12
- Desmos– online graphing site.
- Maths Shed– math games and challenges
- Mathisfun.com– math games- free
- Mr D’s Math– live online high school math classes
Online Learning Ideas for Science
- Mystery Science
- Crash Course in Science
- Kesler Science
- Disney Nature Educator’s Guides
- Wow in the World Podcast– by NPR – there are probably other fun science podcasts, but this is one we listen to often!
- Activities to go with Magic School Bus Episodes
- Scratch Coding– computer science. This is a fun free site to learn coding for kids!
- Biodigital Human
- Discovery Education
- Science Buddies
Online Learning Ideas for Reading/ Language Arts
- Librivox– Free public domain audio and e-books books online
- Progressive Phonics
- Starfall– pre-k through 3rd
- ABC Mouse
- Vooks– streaming library of read-aloud animated story books
- Reading Eggs
- Teach Your Monster to Read
- Storyline Online– videos of authors reading their picture books
- Storytime with Ryan & Craig– another site with videos of picture books
- Storytime from Space– astronauts reading books to children from space!
- Lailo– free phonics program for k-2nd grade
- No Red Ink– online Language arts, writing, grammar, etc. K-12
- Epic– online library for kids 12 & under
Music & Art Resources:
- Google arts & culture
- Art for Kids Hub
- Sparketh– art lessons
- Deep Space Sparkle
- Masterpiece Society– online art lessons
- Enrichment Studies
- Hoffman Piano Academy
- Online Guitar Lessons for Teens or for Kids
- Speekee Spanish
- Homeschool Spanish Academy
- Mango Languages
- Calico Spanish Curriculum for Kids
- The Comprehensible Classroom
- Languages Online
- Open Physical Education Network
- Cosmic Kids Yoga & Meditation (Youtube)
- PE Central
- The PE Geek
- Take Your Marks
Have favorites that were not mentioned? Please leave them in the comments. We would all love to know about them!
Susan Kaiser says
Thank you so much!