This post may contain affiliate links.
Looking for some fun hands-on STEM education ideas? Need ideas for your next science fair project? Look no further! This is a round-up of 20 Elementary STEM science projects from my site. Check them out and try some for yourself!
For even more ideas, be sure to check out my 200+ Elementary STEM projects, for even more ideas!
20 Elementary STEM Science Projects
Elementary school is a fabulous time to introduce kids to tons of cool experiments. These STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) projects help them understand the world around them and learn how things work. The following projects include one or more of the STEM components to help you plan your next experiments and projects.
1.Dirt Battery Experiment– make a battery that lights up an LED light with dirt?! Cool.
2. Play Dough Human Anatomy– Build the human organs out of play dough with your kids.
3. Milk Cap Magnet Boats– Make these little magnetic boats out of milk caps to explore magnetism.
4. Water Clock– Learn how to build a water clock that keeps time.
5. Water Filtration Experiment– Make a simple filter to clean water.
6. Lemon Battery– Build a battery out of lemons, wire and nails!
7. Easy Engineering Experiment– Try this simple experiment with paper and pennies to learn what can hold more weight.
8. Solar Powered Lego Car– Build a car out of Legos and a solar panel that can actually go! Awesome.
9. Periodic Table Battleship– This is a game, but it teaches amazing science information as kids play!
10. Blooming Paper Flowers– This is one of my favorites- learn how water absorption affects paper and makes it move.
11. Green Eggs Chemistry Experiment– This simple chemical reaction turns eggs green- and they are still edible!
12. Lego Earthquake Experiment– Can you build a building out of Legos to withstand an earthquake?
13. Food Chemistry- Turn Juice into Solid– Try out this food science experiment to make gummy noodles out of juice & a few other ingredients.
14, Hold up Books with Paper– A roll of paper is stronger than you think! How many books will your tower hold?
15. Leaf Transpiration– Did you know leaves transpire, or sweat? Try this experiment out on a warm sunny day.
16. Insect Hotel– Make a home for bugs to come and stay, then observe their living patterns.
17. Rock Candy Geodes– These geodes are all edible and so much fun to make. Learn about real geodes and how they are formed in the process.
18. Star Viewer Craft– Learn about constellation and build your own star viewer!
19. States of Matter– Solids, liquids and gasses are an important topic to understand. This post has ideas for making this lesson fun!
20. DNA Teaching– Do you know how to extract DNA from food? Check this out and more in this post.
Science projects are some of my favorite things to do with my kids. Many of these science activities can be used in science fair projects, in STEM classes or just for fun learning activities at home. Older kids will love them, too. They are not all just for young kids!
How are you learning STEM with your kids? Learn more about How to Teach STEM & Why it Matters. What’s your favorite project?
I co-authored a STEAM book to help kids get excited about learning these important topics. Learn more about the STEAM Kids book HERE.
Find even more STEAM education ideas!