This post may contain affiliate links.
Ok, so my sister and I were talking about how to make subjects FUN so our kids will actually WANT to learn them. isnt that the goal of all us homeschoolers? So, here are some fun things to do for handwriting practice (our boys don’t really care for it…their writing is TERRIBLE. Is it a boy thing?)
1. Tic tac toe.
3. Child throws a beanbag onto footprint letters, or letters written in a grid, in sequence in order to spell a word (or jump on the letters in sequence), then they can write the word on the board.
4. Play DOTS on a grid by drawing a horizontal or vertical line (each in turn), when you “win” a square, have your child write their initials or a predetermined word in each square that they form!
5. Write a silly story with a child – they write one word or a sentence, and you write the next, etc. Make it up as you go along.
6. Writing a letter to a family member, friend or have a mailbox in the classroom where the students write letters, messages, cards, etc to each other, to teachers, etc.
7. Come up with a holiday shopping list, gift wish list, etc.
8. Party “To Do” list – make list of friends, what party games to play, what to make/buy/do, make invitations, place cards, name cards or stickers for party favors. You can even write names with frosting on cupcake!
9. Write with Shaving Cream/Finger paint or mixture of the two.
10. Comics – draw pictures and fill in “word bubbles” with what each character says.
11. Scrabble! Write the words on a grid, instead of using tiles.
12. Make clues for a treasure hunt.
13. Daily journal. have them write at least one sentence a day!(it is a good habit to have anyway!)
14. Have kids add what they want to the grocery list!
15. Pointillism (write with q-tips dipped in paint!)
16. Write with a stick in the sand or dirt!